Our dentist and team the practice of Eli Lawrence, DDS encourage you and your family to prevent the development of gum disease by maintaining healthy oral hygiene habits. It’s important to practice proper care of your teeth and gums by flossing every day. Knowing how to floss effectively can greatly lower your risk of gum disease by removing harmful particles.
It’s very easy for food particles to build up along the teeth and accumulate in hard-to-reach areas between the teeth and along the gum line. When performing your daily habits of brushing and flossing, go slowly and carefully to achieve a more effective clean than trying to quickly clean your smile. If you find yourself struggling with proper flossing for a healthy smile, we invite you to use the following dental floss techniques:
– Never substitute floss with random materials. Instead, ask your dentist for recommendations on dental floss or interdental cleaners.
– Look for the American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance on floss products.
– Avoid damaging your teeth and gums by flossing gently and carefully every time.
– Make sure your floss string is between 16-20 inches in length so that each tooth receives a different section of floss. Carefully extract the string from around each tooth.
– Be sure to address every section of your smile when flossing, including around your back teeth.
– Avoid floss string that is prone to tearing or fraying easily.
– Keep your scheduled professional cleanings with the dentist.
To arrange an appointment with Dr. Eli J. Lawrence to learn more about how flossing helps gum disease in Chicago, Illinois, contact us at 312-236-9895 today.